February 05, 2018

One Night in Italy

We've recently begun a brand new year. I’ve also begun an exciting new chapter in my life as I ease into retirement. With this newfound freedom to do the things I enjoy, I plan to include more reading. And since I don’t have any travel plans for 2018 I was having trouble coming up with inspiration for future blog posts. Then it came to me! I’d signed up for the Goodreads Reading Challenge and set a goal of 52 books. As I work my way through an overflowing bookshelf of armchair travel fiction, I’ll feature some of these novels on my blog along with photos of locations mentioned in the stories. I’ll begin with One Night in Italy, by Lucy Diamond.







The novel takes place mostly in the city of Sheffield in northern England but, in keeping with the title, there are some scenes in Italy as well. One of the characters dines at a trattoria on Piazza di Spagna in Rome. The day I visited this popular square it rained but the dreary weather didn’t deter the crowds.


The Spanish Steps on Piazza di Spagna



View Towards Via Condotti



Bernini's Fountain of the Old Boat






Another character in Diamond's novel sits at a café overlooking the Grand Canal in Venice. This brought back memories of the lunch I enjoyed beneath the Rialto Bridge, watching gondolas and vaporettos glide past. (Hmm, it rained that day too.)



Rialto Bridge







Gondola on the Grand Canal



Wine Delivery via Boat



View of the Grand Canal from the Rialto Bridge






By the way, I couldn’t NOT have any future travel plans… I’m thinking of a spring trip to the Netherlands (tulip season!), a tour of Spain, and maybe a cruise off the coast of Croatia. In the meantime, it’s on to the next novel: The Alice Network.

Books I've read in 2018: 6 of 52

Follow this link if you'd like to join the Goodreads Reading Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Books can bring back so many memories. I recently read Dan Brown's 'Origin'. The book starts out describing this mountain monastery and I realized it was Montserrat. I got out my diary from that trip in 1969 and read of the places I visited in Spain and enjoyed reading his description of some of them in the book. I had planned to relive the trip in my blog, just need to get myself in gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Origin too. It’s one of the reasons I’d like to visit Spain. I hope you do write about your travels there, I’d love to hear about it!

      Delete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.