April 04, 2013

"D" is for Dolphin

This is Day 4 for the
Blogging from A to Z Challenge
for 2013.


My topic for today is the dolphin, an aquatic mammal found all around the world. There are both common and bottlenose dolphins in the Mediterranean.


In communities around the sea it's a popular subject for statues and fountains. Depictions of the dolphin in art go back to the Minoans at the Palace of Knossos on Crete. The Fontana del Moro in Piazza Navona in Rome also features a Moor wrestling with a dolphin.


As we travelled to the south of France, the first place I noticed the dolphin was on a statue in the Camargue town of Aigues-MortesThe fountain sits at the base of a statue of St. Louis, King Louis IX of France.



Dolphin on a Statue of St. Louis

Statue of St. Louis, Aigues-Mortes, France

In Aix-en-Provence, the Fountain of the Four Dolphins is in a tiny square on rue Septembre, which runs off the Cours Mirabeau.


Fountain of the Four Dolphins, Aix-en-Provence




The sleepy French Riviera town of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat had two sculptures featuring the dolphin.


Dolphin Sculpture, Saint Jean Cap Ferrat
Sculpture of Dolphins

If you'd like to see a live one during your visit to the French Riviera, Espace Marineland, located near Antibes, has a dolphin show. (There's a video of the show on Youtube.) You can also book entrance to the dolphin lagoon for an additional 69 Euros.

Another option is to take a half-day dolphin and whale watching tour out of Villefranche-sur-Mer. (More video on Youtube.) Tours can be booked through the local tourist office in the port.


It must be the dolphin's happy expression that makes him so popular. Have you had an opportunity to swim with the dolphins?

Next:  "E" is for Employment


13 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! I hadn't realized all how much the dolphin was depicted in statuary. Very cool! I've never had the chance to swim with them, but anyone I talk to who has raves about the experience. Best of luck on the A to Z from a fellow WFWAer!
    Jess Topper / Blogging on the Brink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. There are so many wonderful big things (buildings, views) grabbing your attention in France that I really have to remind myself to pay attention to the smaller details too.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this. I love dolphins, I think they're my spirit animal ;-p One of my favorite books is STARTIDE RISING by David Brin, b/c it features dolphins....as spaceship pilots. (It works, trust me ;-D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And dolphins as spaceship pilots? I believe you - somehow I can actually picture them. (They'd have to be the good guys!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if there's anyone who's not captured by the sheer joie-de-vivre of dolphins.

    Pauleen @ http://troppont.wordpress.com
    A to Z 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked dolphins - "Flipper" was my favourite TV show back in the 60s.

      Delete
  6. I love all of the dolphin statues. What a fun collection!

    Katie @ www.itfoodie.com
    A to Z 2013

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Katie. I probably missed a lot more though as there's so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved watching shows about dolphins. I've seen a couple of live shows with dolphins. They are such smart creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only seen them on TV or in movies - great little actors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what gorgeous statues! They really make a big presence there!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.