April 16, 2015

"N" is for Nightfall

I’ve heard a lot about the crowds in Venice, especially at popular locations like Piazza San Marco, and to some extent it’s true. But many travellers arrive on cruise ships only for the day; others return to their hotel rooms on the mainland for the night. Then the city can breathe again.

When night falls on La Serenissima, the serene one, it brings quiet and beauty to this city of the sea.


Cruise Ship Arrives in Venice


Before night falls, colourful buildings on the island of Burano reflect off the shimmering canals.
Then the light – and colour - begin to fade.


The Colourful Houses of Burano





The dipping sun sets the Venetian lagoon on fire until darkness descends and boats are put to rest.


Sunset on the Venetian Lagoon


Cruising the Grand Canal at Dusk


Quiet Evening on the Canal


Those lucky souls left behind in the city settle down for their evening meal,
Or gather on Piazza San Marco to listen to the caffe orchestras play.


Dining on the Giudecca Canal


Nightfall on Piazza San Marco


Caffe Orchestra on Piazza San Marco


Nightfall is Venice at her best.


8 comments:

  1. Love that row of coloured houses - gorgeous photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Burano is such a charming island. I'm glad I had the chance to visit there on a quiet evening.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, nightfall. That is one of my favorite words. best wishes on your A-Z journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos. I love the colors of Burano Island. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Venice in 1969 and have never returned. It rained almost every day, but fortunately there were no crowds. I don't think cruise ships made that a regular port of call back then. I would love to go back but there are just so many places still to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I'd love to go back to France but there are so many other places I haven't seen yet.

      Delete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.