April 13, 2013

"L" is for Lavender


This is Day 12 for the
Blogging from A to Z Challenge
for 2013.

The letter "L" takes us to another item on my Bucket List: Lavender.




Vendors at the Cours Saleya Market in Nice sell an assortment of lavender products, but I wanted to see fields of flowers in full bloom – the lavender fields of the Luberon. And thus began my pursuit of lavender on a return trip to France.

Lavender Products, Nice

When we arrived in Paris, lavender was flowering at the Tuileries Gardens.


Tuileries Gardens, Paris

And there was a small planting of lavender beneath a tree on the grounds of Château de Pierreclos in Burgundy (and lots of bees).


Château de Pierreclos, Burgundy

But when we arrived in Provence, the fields of lavender – the very fields I had crossed the Atlantic to see – had been cut down due to heavy rains. After two years of planning there was no excursion to the Luberon. Disappointment was an understatement. I had to settle for lavender in the shops.


Lavender Shop, Avignon
L'Occitane en Provence, Arles
Lavender and Sunflowers, St. Remy-de-Provence
Joel Durand Lavender Chocolates

But there was a tiny glimmer of hope – lavender may be blooming in the town of St. Remy-de-Provence at St. Paul de Mausole Monastery.


St. Paul de Mausole Monastery, St. Remy-de-Provence


I stood in a field of lavender under a blazing sun, inhaling the fragrance and watching the butterflies while cigales chirped all around me – it was the Provencal experience from my Bucket List at last!

Next:  "M" is for Macaron

2 comments:

  1. I love the smell of lavender! I've tried growing it a couple of times and I fail miserably. I think because it wants to be outdoors and I keep trying to make it an indoor plant.

    I can't imagine how wonderful those field of lavender in France must smell! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell was amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.